Enter The CITI Training Website
The Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) is a leading web-based training provider of research education content for millions of learners at academic institutions, government agencies, and commercial organizations in the U.S. and around the world.
All Rutgers University faculty, students, and other individuals involved in human subjects research are required to complete the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Basic Course and complete the CITI Refresher Course every three (3) years thereafter. This requirement also extends to all IRB members and Human Subjects Protection program staff. Campus IRBs will not issue final approval of certain IRB submissions (Initial Submissions / Continuing Reviews / Key Personnel Amendments) until it is verified that listed study personnel have completed the current requirements for human subjects research education.
eIRB and CITI
Once you successfully complete your CITI Training, eIRB will synchronize your completion records with CITI training after 24 hrs. The criteria for synchronization is a matching email address.
The email provided to CITI must match the email listed in eIRB (Instructions).
You must take Rutgers’ CITI educational program prior to engaging in human subjects research if:
- a human subjects research project is going to be performed in whole or in part on Rutgers premises. Those study personnel engaged in the research to be conducted on Rutgers premises must take the CITI program. It doesn't matter whether these individuals are affiliated with Rutgers or with another institution and it doesn't matter which IRBs have reviewed and approved the study.
- a Rutgers-affiliated individual is going to engage in human subjects research (faculty, non-faculty staff, house staff officer, student, volunteer or other agent, acting in connection with his or her Rutgers responsibilities or educational program). An individual must take the CITI program, regardless of where the research is being performed, or which IRBs will review and approve the research.
- a research project will make use of Rutgers private, identifiable information about human subjects or potential subjects. Study personnel using this information must take the CITI program, regardless of where the research is being performed, which IRBs will review the research, or whether the study personnel are affiliated with Rutgers.
Individuals not "engaged in research," as defined by federal Guidance on this topic, need not take the CITI program under any circumstances. Consultation with Rutgers IRB staff should be sought prior to determining whether certain activities for a human subjects research project constitute "engagement in research."
- How do I begin my course? (citiprogram.org)
- Add/Change Your Affiliated Institution (citiprogram.org)
- Add a Course - Remove a Course (citiprograms.org)
- Completing Your CITI Training [PDF]
- Completing a CITI Refresher Course [PDF]
Print Your CITI Certificate
- Log Into CITI
- Click "Main Menu"
- Click "Print Report" for each applicable course
Management Assistant / CITI Help