All Rutgers University faculty, students, and other individuals involved in human subjects research are required to complete the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Basic Course and complete the CITI Refresher Course every three (3) years thereafter. This requirement also extends to all IRB members and Human Subjects Protection program staff. Campus IRBs will not issue final approval of certain IRB submissions (Initial Submissions / Continuing Reviews / Key Personnel Amendments) until it is verified that listed study personnel have completed the current requirements for human subjects research education.
You must take Rutgers’ CITI educational program prior to engaging in human subjects research if:
- a human subjects research project is going to be performed in whole or in part on Rutgers premises. Those study personnel engaged in the research to be conducted on Rutgers premises must take the CITI program. It doesn't matter whether these individuals are affiliated with Rutgers or with another institution and it doesn't matter which IRBs have reviewed and approved the study.
- a Rutgers-affiliated individual is going to engage in human subjects research (faculty, non-faculty staff, house staff officer, student, volunteer or other agent, acting in connection with his or her Rutgers responsibilities or educational program). An individual must take the CITI program, regardless of where the research is being performed, or which IRBs will review and approve the research.
- a research project will make use of Rutgers private, identifiable information about human subjects or potential subjects. Study personnel using this information must take the CITI program, regardless of where the research is being performed, which IRBs will review the research, or whether the study personnel are affiliated with Rutgers.
Consultation with Rutgers IRB staff should be sought prior to determining whether certain activities for a human subjects research project constitute "engagement in research."
For all Principal Investigators, Faculty Advisors, and Key Personnel of Human Subject Research Studies including outside collaborators:
- Basic Course (with CITI Refresher Course every three (3) years thereafter) via the CITI Online Training Website; [Complete any or all basic courses as applicable to your research]:
- Social / Behavioral / Epidemiologic Research Investigators: Stage 1 - Basic Course
- Biomedical / Clinical Research Investigators: Stage 1 - Basic Course
For all Researchers conducting NIH-Funded Clinical Studies
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Course via the CITI Online Training Website [Any or all GCP courses as applicable to your research]; (NOTE: All NIH-funded clinical investigators and clinical trial staff who are involved in the design, conduct, oversight, or management of clinical trials can learn about the requirement to be trained in Good Clinical Practice (GCP): Learn More).
For IRB Board Members
- Monthly Educational Items (NetID Required)
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) via the CITI Online Training Website
- Clinical Research Coordinator via the CITI Online Training Website
- eIRB Training Resources
- "Brown Bag" Lunch Sessions
- NIH Investigator Training Videos (Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Clinical Research)
- OHRP Training Videos
- FDA Clinical Investigator Online Training Course
- Conferences and Events